Terms And Conditions   Please Read and Accept the Daytona Drone Club Terms to participate in the Forum

Notifications
Clear all

CAN BUS

4 Posts
1 Users
0 Likes
(@admin)
Reputable Member Admin
Topic starter  

I have identified the interface and protocols used in the cube enviroment having fun with it. The reality is it's alot of technical mumbo gumbo and the methods of transmission are tough concepts. 

The purpose of this post is to identify the method , the protocol and how to set it up.

Instead of serial, I2C, SPI, PWM and other protocols, CANbus unifies all the devices on your multirotor to one common protocol and, even more important, one cable/connector.

This is the future of communications and the next piece of the communication puzzle for this build.

CAN bus:

A Controller Area Network (CAN bus) is a robust vehicle bus standard designed to allow microcontrollers and devices to communicate with each other in applications without a host computer. It is a message-based protocol, designed originally for multiplex electrical wiring within automobiles to save on copper, but is also used in many other contexts.

All nodes are connected to each other through a two wire bus  Most autopilots that run ArduPilot have either one or two CAN interfaces for connection of different devices.

(Here is the read twice part)

Each physical interface can be virtually connected to one of the drivers that represent protocols to be used. For example, the most common scenario will be one driver of UAVCAN with both interfaces connected to it. Such setup will provide redundancy for devices with two CAN interfaces and full functionality for devices with one CAN interface.

CANbus was originally designed by Robert Bosch GMBH for automobiles many years ago.
Pavel Kirienko created a software layer which runs on top of the CANbus, made specifically for UAVs, that he calls UAVCAN. 

Drone Ser #1:

CAN BUS is where we are.   I had purchased a here3 gps antenna and was unable to get it to work. The canbus informations says just put it first in the chain and all is well but of course this doesnt happen for me, that would be to easy.  

I had purchased a simple GPS  from the mail but realize that a 20 dollar receiver that is going to navigate my expensive drone is just a dumb idea. That's why I sprang 125 for the here 3 but if it doesn't work I have to find a different fix. It appears the here 3 is very new and information is hardly available and the manufacture, good luck there

This topic was modified 3 years ago 3 times by admin

(@admin)
Reputable Member Admin
Topic starter  

These are the components and the instructions on how to setup a paticular device will follow. Hopefully it will be a here3 gps

Enabling CAN interfaces

Configuration of CAN interfaces

Configuration of CAN driver

UVCAN is the protocol

https://ardupilot.org/copter/docs/common-canbus-setup-advanced.html#enabling-can-interfaces

I post this so I can refer to it as I write the instructions to setup the can bus for the here3

Configuration settings

Enabling CAN interfaces

Each physical port can be turned off or connected to corresponding driver with parameter CAN_PX_DRIVER, where X is the number of port. The value of this parameter is the id of driver that will be associated with this port (interface).

For example, the most common setup will have one driver and all interfaces will be connected to it. The CAN_P1_DRIVER and CAN_P2_DRIVER parameters in this configuration should be set to 1 (first driver).

../_images/can-driver-parameters.png

After change of any CAN_PX_DRIVER the autopilot has to be rebooted for the changes to take place.

This post was modified 3 years ago 3 times by admin

ReplyQuote
(@admin)
Reputable Member Admin
Topic starter  

The current ststus is the here3 is connected to the can1 port
in mission planner I go to setup/optional hardware/uavcan then select SLCan Mode CAN1 and get this 

This is the here3 setup:

CAN_D1_PROTOCOL: 1

CAN_D2_PROTOCOL: 1

CAN_P1_DRIVER: 1

CAN_P2_DRIVER: 1

GPS_TYPE: 9

NTF_LED_TYPES: 231

This is my full parameter list :

This is where I am stuck

This post was modified 3 years ago 2 times by admin

ReplyQuote
(@admin)
Reputable Member Admin
Topic starter  

This is where I start to build a information base for the purpose of troubleshooting an inop here3

NOTE:  The    SLCAN  turns Cube into UAVCAN converter.  

This post was modified 3 years ago by admin

ReplyQuote
Minimum 4 characters